The backyard where the teaching has been going on till now...
Hey everybody!
It is a long time since I have been writing here, and this is going to be a bit different. I am now in Colombia, what a beautiful country! I am in Santa Marta, a "vacation city" for Colombians by the Caribbean coast. It is a nice place, but there are a lot of poverty and people in need. I am volunteering in a fundation "Fundacion mariposas Amarillas". It is a grassroot organization created four years ago and it is run by volunteers from their own pockets or what we can get from donations. The organization is comitted to support disatvanteged childern and families around the aera. We provied services (education, psychological assistance, recreation), supplies (food, books, school items, clothing) and information on education nutrition and childcare to families in Santa Marta's poorest neighbourhoods.
We are working in to poor "barrios" outside the city. We are for the time beeing concerntration on education which is important to develope the children and to secure a better future for them. Some of the children's knowledge is very low because the schools are not able to teach them what they should. The extra classes we give them are therefore important. We teach everything from English to art, and they are very concentrated and wager to learn!
Recently we bought a house in one of the barrios (earlier we been teaching in a backyard....). The number of volunteers coming to work here varies a lot, and to secure a constant possibility for the children to read and learn we are building a library in this house. We are also going to use one of the rooms as a classroom so we can continue the classes which are now held in the backyard.
As I already wrote we are depending on donations to keep the organization running. Expecially now when we are working with this new house. We are working hard to arrange different fundraising-events there in Santa Marta, but that is not enough to pay down the house and fix it, by painting, books shelves and ect.
I know that people are studying or traveling and have a tight budget, but as litle as 10 dollars can help. If you have questions about the organization or want to help out and do a donation, please contact me! I will send you a fundraising-document with all the details and a recite of your donation. Hope my friends ard family are willing to help the me and the organization out. And not least the children of Santa Marta! We need you!=)
Contact me on my E-mail: eld_vea@hotmail.com or send me a message on facebook!
hope everyone is doing good!=)
Ingen kommentarer:
Legg inn en kommentar